Pages

About Me

My photo
I quit my teaching job to stay home with my boys almost 6 years ago. It was the best decision my husband and I ever made for our family. It hasn't always been easy or perfect, but it has been wonderful! I have enjoyed the time I get to spend at home with our littles, but I also discovered that I needed an outlet. I workout at the gym for my body, but my brain also needs a workout. I decided to start a blog to exercise my brain a bit.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Jinx by Meg Cabot

Title: Jinx
Author: Meg Cabot
Pages: 288p

Publishers: Harper Collins

Source: Glenwood Springs Library








Back of Book Summary:
It's not easy being Jinx.
Jean Honeychurch hates her boring name (not Jean Marie, or Jeanette, just . . . Jean). What's worse? Her all-too-appropriate nickname, Jinx. Misfortune seems to follow her everywhere she goes even to New York City, where Jinx has moved to get away from the huge mess she caused in her small hometown. Her aunt and uncle welcome her to their Manhattan town house, but her beautiful cousin

Tory isn't so thrilled. . . .

In fact, Tory is hiding a dangerous secret one that could put them all in danger. Soon Jinx realizes it isn't just bad luck she's been running from . . . and that the curse she has lived under since the day she was born may be the only thing that can save her life.

My Review:
Characters:
Jinx (Jean) is a typical teenager- beautiful but full of low self-esteem and bad decisions. Tory is also a fairly typical teenager- beautiful but full of low self-esteem and bad decisions. Each of these girls- even though they are incredibly unique and stand out from the typical population, they each in their own way represent the majority of teenage girls. Something about girls doesn't allow us to be content with who we are. Meg Cabot captures the struggles and the angst that this self-inflicted pain causes through these two characters.

The only annoying aspect to these characters, was Jinx's total and complete dismissal of  her potential love interest. She was so overly unaware of the situation that it was annoying to the reader.


Plot/Conflict/Theme:
Bit by bit the plot develops. Cabot leaks the mystery behind Jinx's move from the countryside to the big city in acceptable, yet predictable amounts. I would have liked to have less predictable conflicts and twists that were presented. Though the novel lacked a standout plot, conflict, and theme, it was a fun, entertaining read.


Quality of Writing:
The writing produced was well written as far a the basic structure of the writing. There were places filled with good descriptions, but there were also parts that were left barren and uninteresting. The writing could have been better if it were more consistent. I believe that the writing was also greatly affected by the cliche plot line. There is only so much you can do with a story via writing if the plot is so so.


Rating:
Book: L for Lacking
Cover: L for Lacking

2 comments:

  1. Hi, i think the cover is quite nice but i don't know about the storyline judging from the review. i'm surprised you did finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is nice in itself, but I thought that there was a disconnect between the cover and the plot of the story.

    ReplyDelete