Pages

About Me

My photo
I quit my teaching job to stay home with my boys almost 6 years ago. It was the best decision my husband and I ever made for our family. It hasn't always been easy or perfect, but it has been wonderful! I have enjoyed the time I get to spend at home with our littles, but I also discovered that I needed an outlet. I workout at the gym for my body, but my brain also needs a workout. I decided to start a blog to exercise my brain a bit.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Everlost by Neal Shusterman



Title: Everlost
Author: Neal Shusterman
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing
Pages: 384
Source: Barnes and Noble









Back of Book Summary
Nick and Allie don’t survive the car accident…but their souls don’t exactly get where they’re supposed to go either. Instead, they’re caught halfway between life and death, in a sort of limbo known as Everlost: a shadow of the living world, filled with all the things and places that no longer exist. It’s a magical, yet dangerous place where bands of lost children run wild and anyone who stands in the same place too long sinks to the center of the Earth.
When they find Mary, the self-proclaimed queen of lost kids, Nick feels like he’s found a home, but Allie isn’t satisfied spending eternity between worlds. Against all warnings, Allie begins learning the “Criminal Art” of haunting, and ventures into dangerous territory, where a monster called the McGill threatens all the souls of Everlost.
In this imaginative novel, Neal Shusterman explores questions of life, death, and what just might lie in between.

My Review:
Characters:
It took me a bit to warm up to each of the characters in this novel.  Shusterman does a nice job slowing developing the characters. It seemed like I, just like Allie, Nick , and Leaf, was getting a feel for my surroundings. Like I was with them trying to determine whom my friends and foes were. It was an interesting way to be introduced to characters in a novel. It was hard at first, because I like to fall instantly

Plot, Conflict, Theme:

I struggled with reading Everlost. It took me a long time to get into the story. Once I really set down and was able to devote a couple of hours to reading this novel, it drew me in. I became engrossed in the story, trying to figure out ways to solve Allie’s problem. Or figure out if Mary Queen of Snots was good or evil. I loved walking the line of decisions. It made me really think and evaluate the characters and their every move. Shusterman does an excellent job drawing his reader into the intricate world of Everlost. I also enjoyed the variety of conflicts Shusterman uses to develop all aspects of his story. Each conflict individually was interesting, but also joined together with the other conflicts to form a well-fit puzzle. I am looking forward to reading the next two books in this trilogy.

Quality of Writing:
Neal Shusterman is a story man. I would recommend each of his books that I’ve read because each one is very unique and fascinating in its own right. The dialogue is great- very realistic. There is also a great flow to the writing that makes this novel a easy, relaxed read. 

My Rating:
Cover: B for Basically Brillant
Book: B for Basically Brillant

No comments:

Post a Comment