Pages

About Me

My photo
I quit my teaching job to stay home with my boys almost 6 years ago. It was the best decision my husband and I ever made for our family. It hasn't always been easy or perfect, but it has been wonderful! I have enjoyed the time I get to spend at home with our littles, but I also discovered that I needed an outlet. I workout at the gym for my body, but my brain also needs a workout. I decided to start a blog to exercise my brain a bit.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Demon Glass by Rachel Hawkins

Title: DemonGlass
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Pages: 359
Publisher: Hyperion
Source: Borders Book Store, Denver







Back of Book Summary:
      Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodiuium (a.k.a. witches, shapeshifters, and faeries). But then she discovered the family secret, and the fact that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.
     Turns out, Sophie's a demon, on of only two in the world- the other being her father. What's worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will either destroy her powers for good- or kill her. But once Sophie arrives, she makes a shocking discovery. Her new housemates? They're demons too. Meaning, someone is raising demons in secret, with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they're using Archer to do it. But it's not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

 My Review:
Characters:
   I was instantly drawn into this novel through the main character, Sophie Mercer. Sophie is a demon with a sarcastic witty quip at the ready. When she is stressed, scared, overwhelmed by love, or trying to wheedle her way out of the trouble she and her powers have managed to get her into, there is always a sarcastic comment on the tip of her tongue. As a naturally sarcastic person, I found these to be extremely humorous and delightful.
    Jenna- Sophie's vampire best friend is also a very fun and lovable character. She and Sophie display the typical A-Typical relationship of two teenage best friends. There is jealousy and angsty problems for these two deal with on top of the world ending troubles that threaten there friendship. 
    Cal and Archer- Sophie's two love interests are well crafted. Both equally cryptic in their intentions toward Sophie, both equally heart-throbby in their different and unique ways, and both equally troublesome to Sophie's choices.
    All of these characters- protagonists and antagonists alike- add to the fun and incredibly delightful mystery that Hawkins weaves.

Plot/Conflict/Theme:
   This series just keeps getting better. The conflicts in this novel range in their degree- from minor I-don't-want-to-wear-a-crown-on-my-birthday, to the mediocre umm-control-your-powers-or-shatter-a-million-mirrors, or ending with the extreme OMG-my-life-might-end-this-second-if-that-ghoul-gets-is-nasty-hands-on-me-HELP. These extremely fun and slightly dangerous conflicts lead to an even more hilarious and complex-stomach-lurching-turn-of-event-cliff-hanging second book.

Quality of Writing:
      Rachel Hawkins' writing if fun and lighthearted. There is something about her word play,  complex characters, and intriguing plot that is magic. Right now, as Sophie might say, "I'm drunk on magic and it might make me explodey if the next book doesn't come out soon."









Favorite Line: Sophie's dad is trying to teach her how to control her power. She just destroyed a roomful of mirrors during their 1st lesson. This is part of the conversation that follows. It has some wonderfully witty words!

     "I whirled around. Dad was still standing at the window, but he was holding both his hands out, and there was a fine sheen of sweat on his face. When he dropped his arms, he sagged against the widow seat and took a deep breath.
     'I'm sorry!' I blurted out. 'I told you, I suck at this. It's like any time I try to do a spell, it goes all big and scary and explodey, and-'
     Dad rubbed his forehead. 'No, Sopie, it's all right. That's what I'd hoped you would do.'
     'You hoped I'd commit mirrorcide?'"(Hawkins 152-153).




  Rating:
Book: I for Incredible
Cover: I for Incredible

No comments:

Post a Comment