Pages

About Me

My photo
I quit my teaching job to stay home with my boys almost 6 years ago. It was the best decision my husband and I ever made for our family. It hasn't always been easy or perfect, but it has been wonderful! I have enjoyed the time I get to spend at home with our littles, but I also discovered that I needed an outlet. I workout at the gym for my body, but my brain also needs a workout. I decided to start a blog to exercise my brain a bit.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Rikers High

Title: Rikers High
Author: Paul Volponi
Publisher: Speak- The Penguin Group
Pages: 246
Source: COTeen Literature Conference Book Store







Back of Book Summary:
At only seventeen years of age, Martin Stokes is arrested and jailed for something he didn't mean to do. And five months later, he is still in prison on Rikers Island. Just when things couldn't get worse, Martin gets caught in a fight, and his face is slashed. Scarred forever, there is one good thing that comes from the attack: Martin is transferred to a different part of Rikers where inmates must attend high school. There he meets a teacher who gives him hope. But can Martin take the help he is offered, or will he be consumed with getting revenge on his attackers?

My Review:
Characters:
Paul Volponi creates authentic characters in Rikers High. Martin, the main character, is brought to life through the descriptions and interactions with other characters. Ritz, Jessup, Sanchez, Brick, and Shaky are all inmates in Rikers. These characters each play a significant role in developing the authenticity of the novel. Paul Volponi pulls from his background knowledge to create this range of characters. In addition to the inmates, Volponi does an excellent job creating a diverse group of teachers and COs. I appreciate, as a teacher myself, the attention to the diverse teaching style of each of the teachers. Not everyone good, not everyone bad reflects the truth of teachers in a school.

Plot/Conflict/Theme:
Martin, 'Forty', is cut when he gets in the middle of an attack on another inmate. This inciting incident causes Martin to be removed from the main jail and moved to the Sprung. While at the Sprung, Martin is forced to attend school, at first reluctantly, then he began to enjoy attending classes at the jail high school. Throughout the novel, the inmates encounter various conflicts all depicting the difficulty of surviving each of them bring Martin back to his attack. Martin receives a letter from his father warning him not to fall into the traps and holes that keep inmates in prison for longer if not for life. Martin struggles with trying to avoid the traps and holes because of his conflicted desire for revenge and for freedom.

Quality of Writing:
For the most part Paul Volponi's writing is interesting, but there are weak parts in his writing. The vocabulary for instance is lacking and slightly boring. "Dudes and Herbs" were over used terms to describe other inmates. The lack of variety in word choice cause the reader to loose interest in the story, even though the plot and characters are interesting.

Favorite Line: Martin received a letter from his father. His father shared some advice with Martin. Unfortunately, now Martin and his father have something in common. Jail.
      "He never talked about any problems or if it was rough for him there. But things were different now. I could understand where he was coming from, and he could be straight with me. It felt bad to think about it, but being locked up was something we shared together.
       I kissed and put it in my pocket so I wouldn't lose it" (Volponi 166-167).

Rating:
Book: A for Average
Cover: A for Average

2 comments:

  1. HELLO, THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL BLOG. THREE WEEKS IN. IT IS VERY FUN. I LOVE IT. YOU MUST JOIN SOME OF THE MEMES WE BLOGGERS ENGAGE IN. NEW FOLLOWER. CHECK OUT MY PAGE. TODAY MEME IS WWW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete