Pages

About Me

My photo
I quit my teaching job to stay home with my boys almost 6 years ago. It was the best decision my husband and I ever made for our family. It hasn't always been easy or perfect, but it has been wonderful! I have enjoyed the time I get to spend at home with our littles, but I also discovered that I needed an outlet. I workout at the gym for my body, but my brain also needs a workout. I decided to start a blog to exercise my brain a bit.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Pages:  352 (on the nook 196)
Publisher: Hyperion
Source: Barnes and Noble Nookbook







Back of Book Summary:

     Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It’s gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie’s estranged father—an elusive European warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it’s her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
     By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
     As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

My Review:
Characters:
   Sophie and her group of Prodigium are delightful. The reader instantly falls in love with Sophie, her angsty vampire friend, the 'evil' witches who are trying to form a coven (forgive the word choice, I had to keep it clean- I wanted to use another word which would have provided some literary depth to my prose via assonance- JK me really- literary depth?), the grudge holding shapeshifters, and the out-for-blood-because-your-father-sentenced-me-here-to-teach-you-snot-nosed-juvenile-delinquents. Each one of these characters draws you further into the story. Enjoy.
     
Plot/Conflict/Theme:
      Similar to the characters, the plot has the reader wrapped around it's pinky finger. I couldn't put this book down. I was intrigued by the mystery that had enveloped Sophie and her new home at Hex Hall. I kept asking myself- yes- If you have to know, I'll admitted- I asked the questions aloud. 
Who could be committing these terrible crimes? Did Alice have anything to do with them? Jenna? Archer? The Vandy? Were Archer and Sophie ever going to discuss their growing attraction for one another, or let Elodie come between their potentially great- Romeo-and-Juliet- die for you love? I know- the vital question always comes at the end right? Ah-no, I'm not sappy or anything. I only focus on the important things when life around you is potentially experiencing apocalyptic type destruction.
      Well-to say the least. I loved this book and everything about it.

Quality of Writing:
   This novel was well crafted, balancing humor, sarcasm, difficult relationships, and complex and mysterious plot elements. Way to go Rachel Hawkins. I anxiously await your next novel and your new series!!


Rating:
Book:  I for Incredible
Cover: I for Incredible

No comments:

Post a Comment