Pages

About Me

My photo
I quit my teaching job to stay home with my boys almost 6 years ago. It was the best decision my husband and I ever made for our family. It hasn't always been easy or perfect, but it has been wonderful! I have enjoyed the time I get to spend at home with our littles, but I also discovered that I needed an outlet. I workout at the gym for my body, but my brain also needs a workout. I decided to start a blog to exercise my brain a bit.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fire

Title: Fire
Author: Kristin Cashore
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)

Pages: 461

Source: Glenwood Springs Public Library







Back of the book Summary:
In the Companion Book to Graceling, turmoil plagues the land of Dells. Armies in the norther and southern regions build strength and prepare to invade King City and dethrone young King Nash. Outside the city, in the forests and mountains, spies and thieves lurk and loot. Young Fire, a girl who possesses irresistible beauty and can influence others' minds, resides here, and as her world crumbles with the looming war, she desperately searches for a way to save it.

My Review:
Characters:
    I love Fire. Cashore sculpts Fire brillantly. Fire is conflicted over her inner desires as a monster, her monster upbringing, worry over abusing her monster powers, and convincing others of her kindhearted and loyal disposition. The Characters- especially Archer, Brigan, and Nash are full of life dragging me into their world in the Dell. I can feel Fire's pain and conflicted nature. I can witness Brigan's touching interaction between him and his daughter Hannah. I can feel Archer's soul shattering disappointment when Fire turns away from his proposal. The characters are masterfully created to draw the reader into their story...to be a witness to their lives.

Plot/Conflict/Theme:
    The plot develops wonderfully. The twist and turns interlock beautifully. Each new development, conversation, and  interaction between characters builds almost unbearable tension for the reader. The reader is left with no choice but to continue reading to figure out how Brigan and Fire's relationship is developing. How is Archer feeling? What is the status of the developing war between the Lords?

Quality of Writing:
    Cashore's writing is well done. I enjoyed the rhythm and flow of her words unfolding the story before me. If it weren't for Cashore's ability to mold her words, her stories wouldn't be near as intoxicating to the reader.

Rating:
Book:  I for Incredible
Cover: B for Basically Brillant

No comments:

Post a Comment